Sunday, July 20, 2008

Favorite Films

I've been thinking about movies lately. A few years ago, I compiled a list of my favorite 100 films. So, I thought I'd revise that and give you my top 5 from a variety of genres. What's a genre? Well, a film type. You know... Chick-Flick. Guy-Flick. That about covers them. Actually, imdb.com (Internet Movie DataBase) has a listing of genres. Here are some of them...
  • Action
  • Adventure
  • Animation
  • Biography
  • Comedy
  • Crime
  • Documentary
  • Drama
  • Family
  • Fantasy
  • Film-Noir
  • History
  • Horror
  • Musical
  • Mystery
  • Romance
  • Sci-Fi
  • Short
  • Sport
  • Thriller
  • War
  • Western
Okay, that's way too many. But it will give me something to start with. I can pick one of their genres, pull out 5 films and you'll never be the wiser whether I actually think that they're good or not. Well, I'll try to do you right. And no, I can't explain Film-Noir.

These are not ranked in any order and I reserve the right to change my mind. I also reserve the right to ignore your comments saying that a film that I place in one genre should actually be in another genre. I reserve the right to not use all genres listed above. I'll have to have actually seen the film to include it in my list.

Here's a go at one of the genres. "Alex, I'll take Romance for 400."

3 comments:

Steve said...

I'll agree with Princess Bride. From IMDB's list of romance movies, I'd add Casablanca and African Queen. I'd have to work on it to get two more.

Angie said...

I can't wait to see where Goodfellas shows up on your list(s)

Love you....

Dan said...

The Abyss is a Romance? I may have to watch that one again.

I can agree with Return to Me, and add Just Like Heaven.

And The Princess Bride, of course.