Friday, February 09, 2007

Global Warming must be true

I grew up in Clinton County, New York. Plattsburgh, Beekmantown, Peru. Winters were cold and snowy, summers were warm and close.

Then I moved to Cochise County, Arizona. Sierra Vista. Winters were warm and sunny, summers were hot and sunny.

Then I attended two years of schooling at Northern Arizona University in Coconino County, Arizona. Flagstaff. Winters were cold and snowy. I spent summers back in Sierra Vista. See above.

The last few weeks it has been snowing wildly in Oswego County, New York. Over 100". That's snow.

But, back to my topic. Talking about global warming is all the rage these days. So I'll hop into the discussion. It must be true. I figured that there has to be evidence to to back the fact of global warming.

So, I looked at some records for Flagstaff. In one month, they had considerable warming. I wasn't there, so I can't comment on what it was like, but an 88 degree swing is huge.

Low
-22.0°F
(01/04/1971)

High
66.0°F
(01/30/1971)

Back to the present, in Knoxvegas. We had snow/ice storms over the weekend. And now, on Wednesday, it is approaching 65°F. Again, more proof that global warming must be true.

So, what have I been doing to combat the evils of the current political administration's efforts to turn us all into Miami Beach? Hmm. Well, the first thing that I can do is realize that the current political administration didn't bring warming to the globe. I figure that it is all cyclical. Actually, I'm glad for global warming. If it didn't happen, we'd all still be in the Ice Age. I haven't taken any jet flights to Europe or Asia. That has to cut down on some pollution. I recycle aluminum cans. And I started to use Compact Fluorescent Lights. I went to Wal-Mart and bought a six pack of GE energy smart CFLs. They say that a 13 watt CFL equals a 60 watt incandescent bulb. My initial thought is, "No, not quite." I put two bulbs in the kitchen, over the sink area. Everything looks grayish. But they also say that each bulb will save $38 in energy. That is based on a lot of different criteria. Each bulb cost me about $1.75. So, if I can save energy and money, great.

I'm not a tree hugger, but I try to do my part. And phffft to Global Warming.

No comments: