Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Things that go fast and in circles

In a follow up to a recent post about sporting events that I've attended, I thought that I'd share some of the motor sport race tracks that I've been to.

The first race track that I remember is Plattsburgh International Raceway (now know as Airborne Speedway). At that track in the North Country (far northeastern part of New York state) I remember seeing the legendary Jack Kochman's Hell Drivers. Getting a car up on two wheels and around the track was rather awe inspiring to a young boy.

After I moved to the Chicago area, some coworkers took me to Wisconsin's Lake Geneva Raceway. Lake Geneva, more than just home to TSR.

Later, after getting married and getting a different job, a different coworker took Angie and I to the Sycamore Speedway in Sycamore, IL.

Then we moved to Tennessee. And up the food chain in the racing world. And slightly east to Bristol Motor Speedway. Angie and I were fortunate to be able to attend the running of the 2003 Sharpie 500. It looks quite a bit different in person than it does on television. The colors jump out at you. And the 160,000 people that you can't see at the same time on TV. If you haven't seen a NASCAR race live, go do it.

411 Motor Speedway is about 5 miles from the house. I've lived here 11 years and haven't made it there for a race, yet. I need to take my son this year.

Yeah, that's the ticket.

1 comment:

Angie said...

"My Good Life" is a great title for this blog. I am very proud of you.

I figured the first posted comment on your blog this year ought to be from someone who loves you, ya know?

And, when we go to our next NASCAR event. . .yes, I said "when," it will be nice to have the digital camera, and lots of charged batteries for even more pictures.

Again, I'm proud of you and very thankful for the good life you've given to me and the kids.