Friday, November 21, 2008

A Thrilling Christmas

A few weeks ago were were in Sevierville for a wedding rehearsal. Angie was at the church and I took the kids down to the rehearsal dinner. We got there when we were supposed to, but got a call from Angie that things were taking a bit longer than planned. No problem, I tell myself. Sevierville is town full of fun things to do on a Friday night when both kids are hungry. So we went to the "As Seen on TV" store.

They've got a bunch of crap that you actually have seen on TV. And more. They had racks and bins of 99 cent DVDs. Being a sucker for them (as is my brother), I perused the racks and found 3 Christmas DVDs. One of them, A Thrilling Christmas, isn't so thrilling.

It had three episodes of TV shows from the '50s.
Over the next week I watched them, even forcing Angie to join me on one. We watched the Crossroads episode (The Wreath) first. Not very thrilling. I fell asleep.

Then I watched the Robin Hood episode (The Christmas Goose). Whiny kid is collecting holly on the new lord's land. His pet goose attacks the lord. The lord has the goose arrested and brought to trial. The kid whines so much you want Robin to put him out of your misery. A priest takes the goose's side and every one is happy by the end of the show.

The Annie Oakley episode (Santa Claus Wears a Gun) was much more thrilling. Shootouts and guns. And Santa Claus. A robbery and con job.

The transfer was very clean. The sound was good. Menu was, well, a menu. No great features.

Not very thrilling.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'm seeing a new place to spend those many hours when nothing else is planned. Well, maybe next time . . .