Thursday, February 18, 2010

New Barbie is demeaning

Mattel recently announced a new line of Barbie dolls. They are the I Can Be... series. Sure, a trademark goes somewhere in there. This is big business. Here is the I Can Be... Computer Engineer Doll.


The I Can Be... Computer Engineer Doll empowers
girls to play out different roles and "try on" fabulous careers, including computer engineer, the first Barbie® profession chosen by popular vote! Always a reflection of the times, this digital diva engineers the perfect geek-chic look, with hot pink accessories and sleek gadgets to match. The inspiring set also comes with a special code that unlocks career-themed content online, for even more digital play (how fitting)!

Features for Geek Tech Barbie include:
  • Dressed in a funky tee with binary code design
  • Comes with cell phone headset, laptop bag, and pink laptop
  • Special code inside each package unlocks career-themed content online
  • Perfect for gadget girls
If being a Computer Engineer doesn't suit your little girl's taste they can choose to be a News Anchor, a Newborn Baby Doctor, a Rock Star, a Dentist, or a Babysitter.

The thing that is the most offensive of this is that this doll is demeaning to a good percentage of the Computer Engineers out there. We do not all wear funky tees with binary code designs. We do not all wear phone headsets. Some of us have lives outside of work, whether it is being a member of good standing in the Society for Creative Anachronism or playing Dungeons & Dragons. Sometimes we come out of our mother's basement, if just to go to Best Buy to purchase the latest Asus - Rampage II GENE Micro ATX Motherboard 2000MHz (Socket LGA 1336). It does have 12 USB ports and 8 channel audio.

Mattel and Barbie, get a life.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go and watch the final episode of Big Bang Theory, Season 1.

And, Mattel, if you're reading this, in general, real Computer Engineers are not Choking Hazards.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yow! And 24G supported on that mobo. That just screams for a 64-bit operating system.

And yes, I have a headset on at the moment, although I seem to have misplaced my non-work life. Thanks for asking.

--David said...

Ironically, she reminds me of a tech I used to work with! For the record, I am not even allowed to wear t-shirts to work! I certainly do NOT have one of those horrid earpieces.

Now, I am BBT fan though..... Hmm..

perhaps you should add a little BAZINGA! to the end of your post. LOL!

--David said...

BTW, my codeword to add my comment was FAWSM - as in Effin-Awesome! Just syain.