Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Sixty-nine years ago and a good man

Plattsburgh Daily Press - December 8, 1941
I apologize for the use of the derogatory slur in the headline.  The use of this image is only intended to take note of the events of that day.

When I was younger, there was a man who attended our church that was on the islands that day.  Kermit Barror.  I did some looking at other newspapers from that time and found this notice...

The North Countryman - December 18, 1941

The Barrors were friends of the family.  I remember visiting their house.  Their daughter, Karla, was a very talented musician.

Press-Republican - February 3, 1969

Kermit died in the spring of 1994. 
Press-Republican - May 22, 1994
Our family moved from the North Country in 1978.  I didn't realize the importance of what he did in the Army Air Corps.  I didn't ask him what he was doing that day, exactly where he was, how he felt about things.  I didn't take the time to thank him for his service.  Thank you, Mr. Barror.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice. Appropriate.