Saturday, September 20, 2008

A Family Reunion

So, this last week was a whirlwind of happenings. Most notably, my aunt, Shirley Robinson, passed away.

I have felt a little bad about not blogging about it, but I couldn't find the right words to express my feelings. I don't know that I have found them yet. Others have written and spoken some of the thoughts that I had. For the time, I'll let them speak for me.

I took a plane ride from Knoxville to Detroit to Ithaca on Tuesday. Then a rental car drive up to Waterloo. I was soon met by family. The hospitality and food were wonderful. I missed the first segment of the visitation, but was able to meet many of Shirley's coworkers and friends.

Wednesday brought the funeral service, graveside service and then a reception. My thanks goes out to those that participated in the services and provided more good food for the reception. After leaving the church, the family retired to Shirley's house for photos, conversation and more food.

Yup, that's us. Not all of my cousins could attend, so that's not all of us, but it is a decent sampling. Yes, I'm wearing a tie. My cousin, Karen (of the "I slept with my cousin fame") is next to me wearing sunglasses, but not a pointy hat.

The evening ended early for me, as I had to be up at 3:00 a.m. to drive to Ithaca to catch a 6:00 a.m. flight.

At the Detroit airport I was able to walk to Concourse A to look at a few shops. The Motown store and the Henry Ford store had a few smashed penny machines. I ignored the contents of the stores and quickly made change. One of the machines at the Henry Ford store was out of commission. I smashed a total of 10 pennies (2 extra for Bettie), but I seem to have lost one from the Motown machine. So, I came home with 7 new smashed pennies.

And lots of memories of a great woman.

No comments: